IL Collector Tags

To: JustBrits@aol.com, soavero@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: IL Collector Tags
From: William.Elliott@mail.mei.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:38:55 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

I don't think I can post to the list from work, but....

I'm considering a move to IL and find this VERY disappointing.  While MD had
similar rules, they were never enforced.

WI has the best collector program I've ever encountered.

You pay once ($140) to get your first plate and your own collector number.
Subsequent plates (with a letter suffix to your collector number) or transfers
of the plates to a different car are $90.

These are permanent plates you never have to renew!  You also do not have to
keep the cars insured (as you did in MD... and that rule was enforced), but have
to have coverage anytime you drive them.  (So, USAA hates me for all the adds
and deletes....) Also no safety or emission inspections!

The catch?  You have to keep at least one other vehicle with a "normal"
registration and you can't drive during the month of January.  (And even then,
you can get a 2 week "pass" for half the month.)

I consider this VERY collector-friendly and would hate to lose the state support
by moving.

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI