Gas tank question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas tank question
From: andi payn <payn@null.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:32:58 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I've been driving my '76 around for a few weeks now, and I've had to fill
it up a few times, and I've noticed a serious problem at most gas stations
that I've tried. I push the nozzle into the tank, pull the handle, the gas
starts flowing, then it cuts off immediately, splashing gas all over my
bumper, shoes, etc. If I fight with it enough, I can keep the gas from
splashing back, but it still cuts off every few seconds.

At one gas station, the guy from inside the cage came out to show me how to
use these new-fangled anti-fume/vapor-collecting hoses (that have been
around since the early 80s, I think, longer than I've been driving...), and
he proceeded to drench my bumper in gasoline and run up a $12 charge (which
would more than fill a 7-gallon tank even at 1999 prices if more than half
of it had managed to get into the car). He let me have the gas for free,
which was nice, but still, I think something's wrong.

And yet at other gas stations, I can pump with no problems--I start
pumping, push the lock lever in, walk away, come back, and it's stopped at
exactly the right time.

I've never had this problem in any other car--including a 1967 leaded-gas
BMW. Is there something wrong with my car that I should fix, or is there
just some technique that I'm missing?