Re: fine tuning

To: Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM, trunkie@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: fine tuning
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:27:05 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The problem with installing a new performance cam, is that during the machining
process, they
sometime get a little offset, from true 0. The other problem is that timing
marks on or engines
were never that precise to begin with. The cam you got should have come with
some specifications on
where it needed to set. The Kent Cam kit I got came with some very specific
instructions, I belived
my cam was supposed to be set to 6 degrees before true TDC of the #1 piston,
and when using the
factory marking on the timing gears, it was actually between 12-14. To find
true TDC, with the head
off, I used a dial indicator, and rocked the engine forward and back to find
TDC for piston #1. I
had a timing disk mounted to my crank pully(came with my cam), and zero'd it to
TDC, I then check
valve lift on the the #1 intake valve, with the dial indicator to find out how
much out of sync the
cam was from the crank. To sync the cam with the crank, I got a cam gear offset
key from MiniMania
(they are local to me). The offset key,  will change the timing 2X the offset
of the key itself, so
a 3-degree offset key changes timing by 6-degrees. In any case this was a
fairly time consuming
process, and took a little trial an error. but once it's done, you don't have
to do it again unless
you change cams. In any case, I'd recommend you get a copy of David Vizards
book (Tuning BL's
A-series engine), It has very through instructions on how do do all this, not
to mention details on
every possible performance modification that can be done to our engines, and
evaluations of most
products on the market.

Regards,
Bryan Vandiver (59-bugeye)