Re: fine tuning

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, trunkie@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: fine tuning
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:30:26 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hummm..
Maybe there is some way to do it by putting a dial gauge plunger through the
spark plug hole..
In fact, if you dont have a dial gauge, you can probably rig something up a
wooden dowel, screw in type  fitting and some clear tubing (I'm going to have
try this)
In any case, you just need some kind of scale so that you can mark where the
piston reaches it's highest point. then what you do is roll the engine back,
and
find a point that is about 10 thousands below it highest point (value doesn't
really matter, but must be consistant), and then crank the engine forward until
the piston drops again to the same point on the other side. During this
process,
you must have a calibrated 'timing disk' on the end of the crank, and you need
to mark both of these positions. TDC will then be exactly between your two
marks.
You then need to do the same thing on the push rod for the intake valve on #1,
taking the two mesurements, and then finding the mid-point.

If you do need to install an offset key (and chances are you will), I found
that
this is virtually impossible to do with the engine bolted in place (I learned
the hard way), since you cant get the timing cover ,and crank pully off because
of the frame cross member. I had to undo all the engine and tranny mounts, and
raise the engine up about 4 inches, and even then it was a pain.

BTW - If you need it, I can make a copy of the instructions I have and send
them
to you, but your timing specs may be slightly diferent for your cam.

 - Bryan