fine tuning

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: fine tuning
From: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:59:16 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
greetings.
I'm running a newly assembled 1098 with slight modifications:
40 thou over...(makes it 1132cc)
731 spec cam (one step hotter than cooper S)
extractors..(short primary 3 into 1...but looking to switch to LCB if
worthwhile)
Can anyone enlighten me as to whether I should be tuning the engine as to
stock standard figures..for ignition timing and so forth?
With the hot cam should I set the valves to the standard .012" or the
'competition' .015" clearance?
Does anyone have a surefire way of testing the advance 'curve' of the dizzy
and the vaccuum advance? I have a timing light but its not adv.adjustable.
Is the LCB system worth the bother? I'm told they give a wild note..(even
that I'd find reason enough) but that'd depend largely on the muffler too
wouldn't it?
Thanks for any tips
Andy