Pirelli Failures

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Pirelli Failures
From: curt.onstott@orst.edu
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:17:13 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I put a brand new set of pirelli p4000's on my xj6 two years ago.  Friday
one of them went flat.  The failure occured close to the sidewall between
two treads.  It appears that the rubber was very thin here and cracked--
exposing the steel belting and eventually causing the tire to go flat.

I have never had a steel belted tire go flat and I have used many in much
worse conditions than my XJ6 sees.  Has anyone else seen a similar failure
with a pirelli and if they did were they able to get it fixed under
warranty?