Music (Re: Cars and Culture (No Real LBC Content))

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Music (Re: Cars and Culture (No Real LBC Content))
From: andi payn <payn@null.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:58:30 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Brad Fornal:
>After all the talk about Bruce Springsteen and Frank Zappa here is my
question.
>We all love our little cars from the 60's and 70's but have found a certain
>amount of acceptance for the newer vehicles. Have any of you rockers found any
>new music to take the place of what we loved so dearly in our youth, it
seems a
>group that makes me want to listen to there music on the radio is for and few
>between.

Well, I'd guess at 29 I'm younger than much of this list, but music has
always been central to my life (ahead even of cars and computers). While I
did have a single for "Black Superman - Muhammad Ali" as a kid, the first
bands I remember being excited about are Blondie and Devo. I grew up
through the whole new wave thing, and followed it into its diverging
directions--post-punk and deathrock on the one hand, and synthpop,
industrial, and the beginning of rave culture on the other.

By '89, they were both totally dead and played out, and I began spending
more and more time listening to music from '77-'84 or so. I thought nothing
would ever be able to replace it.

And then, over the past few years, I've discovered all kinds of new music
that I love. Interesting music is starting to come out of electronica,
hip-hop, electro-pop, DJ music, and all the different post-post-modern
combinations that give us stuff like Bjork and Beck. Of course I still
listen to a lot of early 80s music, and probably when I'm 75 and looking
back nostalgically I'll listen to Devo, Gary Numan, Falco, and the
Psychedelic Furs more often than Orbital, Atari Teenage Riot, Tricky, and
Elegant Machinery.

But I think that anyone who decides that the only good music is in the past
is responding more to their own closed ears and set ways than to what's
actually going on.

That being said, I'll agree that radio is rarely worth listening to. I
don't know any station I can listen to and tolerate half the music (and I
live in LA, a pretty big radio market). There are a few time periods when
people were lucky enough to have decent new music on the radio--the early
days of rock radio and the early days of "alternative" radio--but most of
the time, radio just sucks.

Anyway, my Midget has the stock AM/FM radio--no cassette, no 8-track, no
external source potential of any kind, and that would be intolerable even
if the radio actually worked. I'm planning on going with a portable MP3 player.