Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions

To: mydogred@bellsouth.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:52:10 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/22/99 11:55:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mydogred@bellsouth.net writes:

<< I can't get the air out of the clutch lines, so no clutch. Any things I
 may have missed bleeding the clutch?
 ~and~
 What's the best gas (octane) & oil to use in this car? >>

Congratulations, Tom.  It's a good feeling to learn how to work on your
car...and even better to drive it.

When you bleed the clutch, have the person who is pushing the pedal do it
slow and easy.  Make sure there is good communication between the person
under the car and the person working the pedal.  Open the bleed screw, press
down slowly on the pedal, close the bleed screw, let the pedal up.  Repeat
until no bubbles show in the tube.  Pressing the pedal too quickly creates
more bubbles.

Make sure the reservoir is kept full.  It is pretty small and runs out
quickly.  If it runs down, air gets in and you have to start all over again.
You may need to let the system sit for a day or two to consolidate the air in
it and then bleed it again.

I am using a synthetic oil in my '77 Midget.  You can use regular or
synthetic.  Any 10W40 or similar will do fine.  If you autocross or race, use
a little heavier oil.  You can use the lowest octane gas that doesn't cause
the engine to ping when you accelerate.  Try a mid-range octane to start and
if you hear a pinging sound, go to high test.

Last bit of advice is to do all the regular maintenance.  You will find your
Midget to be very reliable if you do.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport