Re: Side curtains

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Side curtains
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 01:35:27 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Yes, "fire polishing" does work on Acrylic but is next to impossiable to do
with Polycarbonate.  I have found that a small diameter flame is better than
a larger diameter flame.  You do have to be carful not to get the material
very hot.  It will burn with a pale blue flame (guess how I know) and you can
get "gas pits" that will ruin the finish.  These will require removing about
1/32" or more before you can try finishing the edge again.  You can get
simular results with a polishing wheel on either material.  Regardless of
which polishing method you use you should wet sand the edges with 220 grit
emory paper followed with 400 grit emory until you get a very smooth surface.
 Do all of the edges not just the ones that will show.  This will help extend
the life of your side curtain.  Once you have done a set you might decide
that it is so easy and cheap you are not concerned with their life time.

Bob (and Annice)