Re: MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)

To: Herb_Goede@amsinc.com
Subject: Re: MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)
From: David Christman <dpc@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:56:08 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Regarding value of authenticity, the real question is knowing market demand.
Be aware that market demand for a particular model and modifications usually
changes over
the years. The classic corvette people are now particulary originality oriented.
In '64 it probably didn't make that much difference if you hacked up a '63.

In the classic  BMW world there are certain addons (considered high grade:
alpina, etc.) that increase the value of the car, and quite a few that do not.

I am no expert in the sprite market, but it seems that there is a fair amount
of interest in cars with judiciously upgraded drive trains.  A 1275 looks just
like a 948.  I would say a styling mod (flairs, hood scoop, etc.) would
limit the number of potential buyers and probably drive the price down.
Concerning originality, I haven't seen a lopsidedly strong demand for highly
original
square body cars that would overwhelm the demand for judiciously modified cars.