Re: MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)
From: Herb_Goede@amsinc.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:28:05 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Allen,

Absolutely correct!  Have all the fun with the little beasts that you can
that is what they are for.  I'm really not trying to be argumentative or
disparaging to the modifications some people have done.  Clearly, a 5 speed
makes the cars more roadworthy and the 1275 is a stronger engine.  However,
the question was essentially which retains its value better.  (More
accurately stated which one will you lose less money on.)  My contention is
that the more original a car remains the easier it is to sell should you
want to.

For example, in my opinion (no empiracle evidence) a relatively unmolested
bugeye with 948 and smooth case tranny would be easier to sell than the V8
bugeye that has been discussed lately.  That is simply because the market
is larger and the supply is smaller.  Theoretically, any bugeye can be
stripped down and have a V8 shoe horned in.  Reversing the process is not
nearly as easy.  (Ask Pamela Anderson about returning to her natural cup
size.)

Another, more automotive, example is the '63 Corvette "split window" coupe.
That split in the middle was a poor design idea.  It made sight out of the
back window difficult if not impossible.  In '64, when the split
disappeared, thousands of owners had the wrap around window installed.  It
was any easy change and made sense.  Guess wich one is worth more now - the
one that is "better" (a '63 with the split cut out) or the one that is
"original" (with distracting split).

Herb G.

Ajhsys@aol.com on 10/07/99 10:23:17 AM