Re: A couple of Problems.

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, <Lancer7676@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A couple of Problems.
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:05:50 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The fluid reservoir is split into two chambers, front and rear. The
partition prevents loss of all the fluid to the system.

Gerard

At 6:40 AM -0400 10/15/99, Larry Macy wrote:
>Wait you take cures at only 55?? What are you thinking??
>

>Larry
>
>BTW My 78 only has one reservoir for the brake MC - Did they change it
>for the last year of production??

>>I had a couple of problems develop yesterday with my '79 Midget.  I noticed
>>on the drive from work that the brake pedal was lower and harder than usual
>>so I decided to check it out as soon as I arrived home. Popped the hood and
>>sure enough, the rear MC reservoir was completely empty and the forward res.
>>was only half full.  Checked around the MC for leakage--none apparant.
>>Pulled the front wheels first--no leakage from the calipers that I could
>>see--everything dry.   Pulled the rear wheels--there was some dampness
>>around
>>the passenger side wheel but none that I could see around the wheel
>>cylinder.
>> Neither on the driver's side.  There WAS a very small amount of black
>>grease
>>that probably seeped from the axle housing, but there was no wetness around
>>the wheel cylinders, which, by the way, I had rebuilt within the past year.
>>While I had the rear wheels off I looked at the hose connections above the
>>axle housing--didnt see anything there.
>>
>>Filled the MC reservoir and bled the rear lines--topped everything up and
>>got
>>back the brake pedal--it feels good now.  I can't figure out where the fluid
>>leaked from.  I figure I will closely monitor the brake fluid levels and see
>>how quickly it leaves. Any ideas will be appreciated.
>>
>>Now--another problem that developed.  In replacing BOTH front wheels, and
>>tightening the lug nuts with arm strength only, no body weight at all, I
>>snapped off 1 lug bolt per wheel.  I called my mechanic who has a supply of
>>bolts, and he said that was from fools (DPO, not me) putting the wheels back
>>on with Air wrenches.  They apply too much torque and will eventually break
>>the lugs.  Soooo--I am wondering whether I should replace ALL the lug bolts,
>>not knowing how many others might be stressed by some fool with an air
>>weapon.  If they snap with only ARM strength, might they snapas well in a
>>tight curve at 55 mph?  Something to thinkabout for all of us!
>>
>>----David C.
>

>Larry Macy
>78 Midget
>
>Keep your top down and your chin up.
>
>Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
>macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
>System Manager/Administrator
>Neuropsychiatry Section
>Department of Psychiatry
>University of Pennsylvania
>3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
>Philadelphia, PA 19104
>
> Ask a question and you're a fool for three minutes; do not ask a
>question and you're a fool for the rest of your life.

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos... then you
probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A