Re: Apathy and a challenge

To: Tomsjetta@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Apathy and a challenge
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 05:01:06 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
  I avoided joining the MG club here for almost three years, finally gave in.
Once they all saw what I was driving and how I drove it (agressively would be
my term, crazy would be everyone elses) they started to ignore me. It was as
I thought-- if I didnt have an MGB or a chrome bumpered Midget I was somehow
"beneath" their expectations. I would say the average age at these meets is
between 40 and 50. The few "kids" in my age group are a rather spoiled and
snotty bunch.(they have become "purists" in the marque or something) I've
since learned that most of the true "gearheads" and "drive like you mean it"
crowd have dropped out in the last few years. My buddy was the vice president
of our chapter of the club for this year, and he went into it with gusto and
visions of a more exciting and involved year. I guess he got voted down or
something because after a while I just got totally bummed out with the lack
of response to anything. I dont love my MG any less, but I think I can love
it just fine without paying 40$ a year to be looked down upon.
I really wanted to join in on all the rallyes, but found that most of them
were multiple day ordeals and I cant do that. They really catered to the
"have lots of vacation time or retired and its all a big vacation" crowd with
three day weekends at fancy hotels etc.
I had hoped there would be at least a 2:1 ratio but it was more like 5:1
multiple day excursions to single day or evening events.
Gary
75 Midget daily driver and terror with rubber lips
75 Midget project, hasnt got its lips yet