tune up questions..longish

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: tune up questions..longish
From: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 12:33:26 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Greetings,
While enjoying a sunny spring sunday I noticed a puff of grey/black smoke
when I started the engine. I decided to check the valve clearances and tweak
the carbies some...
When balancing SU's with the "tube in ear" method am I listening for a
difference in the pitch or volume of the hiss? I couldn't detect a pitch
difference so I assumed it was the loudness of the hisses that I'm trying to
match.
Had to turn the mixture nuts about 4 turns to obtain the momentary rise in
rpm when the piston is lifted, and if I lift both pistons simultaneously the
engine stalls. Is this OK?
My tune up book  states valve clearances of .012" or .015" for competitiom
driving...why is this? Should I be using .015" seeing I have a modified
engine (731 cam, extractors)?
Also,I changed my oil on saturday to get rid of the run-in oil.
Filled up with HPR30 (20w-60). The GTX2 was giving me 20psi at 900rpm when
hot.The HPR30 is giving 30psi at the same speed&temp.
I almost lashed out on Castrol formula R 10w-60 synthetic but $60 is just a
bit much unless I can get twice the mileage from it.10w-60 is an attractive
range..good cold start fluidity..good hot viscosity.
Andy
Getting ready for summer, condolences to all those northern hemispherians
preparing their spridgets for hibernation.