Re: New To List

To: t.williams@mrg.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New To List
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 07:07:51 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 11/2/99 6:49:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
t.williams@mrg.ca writes:

<< As it's a 1500, there's been some interesting carb changes. It now wears a
 single SU with a home-made adaptor to the Stromberg intake. Works, but not
 well. SO here's question 1 - dual SUs on a 1500? From aTriumph? Twin SUs
 were available on the 1500 Midget in Europe, but in North America? I am in
 the market for twin SUs, manifold, heat shield etc. Anyone have for sale,
 or know where a fella could look...

 On the subject of the 1500s versus, say the later 1275s, what differences
 are there in engine/tranny mounting? Could one plant a 1500 into a 1275
 car? >>

A big Tennessee Welcome to you Terry!  Good luck with the Midget.  I have a
'79 1500 Midget--runs pretty good and have very little trouble with it.
Perplexed sometimes but not much big time trouble.

As to the carb set-up, I am running a single Weber downdraft.  I think, since
you are planning to change over from the single SU anyway, you might do well
to look at this set-up.  It is really efficient and is easy to adjust--I am
not sure how the cost compares to buying a double SU with manifold, but I
would think it would be comparable.   I would go with the dual Weber
sidedrafts except for the expense of them, and they require far more
experience and know-how, I am told, to install, get properly jetted, and
adjusted.  If I were racing I would definitely look in that direction.  But
for road running, I think you would find the Weber downdraft excellent.

Like someone else's comment to your question about putting the 1500 in place
of a 1275, I am not sure why you would do that.  I understand the 1275 is
really the better of the two engines, although my 1500 runs good.  I am sure
other listers have had more experience with comparisons than I.

Hang with the list when you have questions.  There is ALWAYS somebody who has
been there and done that with these cars.  And again--welcome!!

--David C.