RE: Muffler Customizing

To: Lancer7676@aol.com, ulix@u.washington.edu, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Muffler Customizing
From: Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:30:17 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I made the same mistake thinking that it wouldn't matter because the muffler
is waaaay out on the end... but as it turns out a muffler will cause less
restriction the closer it is to the exhaust manifold simply because the
exhaust gas is hotter and thus able to move faster.

As the gas travels down the pipe it cools and slows down... the longer the
pipe the cooler the gas gets and the slower it moves. Now combine a long
exhaust pipe, a muffler out on the cool end of it and throw in a size
adapters that further changes the gas density... and it's like a frigging
dam.

IMHO... if you're worried only about restriction the best setup is to hang a
glass pack type muffler right under the driver (at unfortunately the lowest
point under our LBCs) and then dump it out on the driver side just in front
of the rear wheel.

Anybody ever put side-pipes on a LBC??

-Drew