RE: Muffler Customizing

To: "'Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com'" <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Subject: RE: Muffler Customizing
From: "Webster, David" <David.Webster@smec.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:21:08 +1100
Cc: "Sprites (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
G'day Drew,

They're my pipes!

I'll attempt to describe the system I made.. here goes

I bought a set of headers which I asume had been truncated by someone, they
ended as 2 pipes, rather than merging into one. They'd been cut at about the
level of the bottom of the block. I made a flange assembly, and  welded one
flange to the headers, the other to 2 90 degree bends. To the other ends of
these right angle bent pipes is a length, about 8", of flexible exhaust
pipe. Then, welded to the other end of the flex pipe is standard (1 1/4" I
think) pipe.The pipe going to the RHS is straight, the LHS has about a 15-20
deg bend, so both emerge from beneath the sill at the same angle. These
pipes are rigidly mounted to the underside of the car,(the flexible pipe
absorbs the movement of the engine in relation to the chassis). The
'mufflers', which are only about 3/4" larger in diameter than the pipes are
located at the ends of the pipes. These had only a perforated inner tube
when I bought them (new) but they were way too loud (painfully) so I
constructed some baffles and put an angled tip on the end of the pipe to
direct the exhaust, and more importantly, the sound, downwards.

It's still quite loud, but I've been driving it around Sydney and Melbourne
for a year now without attracting any unwanted attention from the law.
Although it does tend to make children cry.

I did actually take a couple of shots of the assembled system before I
installed it, I'll try to dig them out.

cheers

Dave