Re: The Wintry Midget

To: <Tomsjetta@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Wintry Midget
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:24:59 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Here in Minnesota, we have some pretty wicked winter weather.  Gerty will be
sleeping for the winter in my own very first garage this year and will be
close at hand.  Here's what I do:

Change the oil.  Oil gets acidic over time after the engine has been run.
If you have more than 1500mi on it, change it in the fall.  Top up the brake
fluid and test the coolant.  Mine is good to -30f .  (It gets cold in
Minnesota)

Pump up the tires.  I'm not sure why actually, but my Dad always did this
when putting his DeSoto asleep for the winter months.  I think it helps the
bead keep sealed.  He pumps his up to 45psi.  I do this too with good
results.

Top up the fuel, add STA-BIL or another fuel stabilizer.  The full tank
keeps condensation to a minimum.  Less air in the tank means less
condensation in the tank.  Sta-bil or some other stabilizer keeps the fuel
from jelling or varnishing in the float bowls.  Make sure you add the
stabilizer, then run it through the carbs for 10 minutes or so.  It's best
to add the sta-bil at the gas station, then fill up the tank and drive it
home.

I put Gerty up on blocks for the winter.  Keeps the springs nicer I think.
If you *do* put it up, make sure that the front and rear levers on the
shocks aren't compressing the rubber snubbers under them.  You could add a
small block of wood under the arm to the body to make sure this doesn't
happen.

I have layed thick black plastic under the car to keep moisture from coming
through the cement garage floor and condensing on the car.  YES, it DOES
come through the cement.  DO NOT cover the car with plastic.  It's very
important that it be able to "breathe".  Don't seal the car in a bag.  BAD
IDEA!  A dust cover or car cover is good, but make sure that it can breathe.

Lastly, I take the battery out and take it to the basement. Charge it up
full overnight, then put it to bed.  Make sure that you don't place it on a
concrete floor. Putting the battery on concrete (I've been told) can wick
the charge out of it.  I put mine on a 4x4 that was laying around.

That's it! Easy!

Happy wintering.

Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty") HAN8L-63423
'72 MG Midget MkIII ("unnamed")
Research Geographer  612.931.3936 (voice)
Navigation Technologies  612.931.3937 (fax)
5780 Lincoln Dr  Ste. 100 612.251.7492 (mobile)
Edina, MN  55436  carlson@navtech.com