Re: S.U.heat shield

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: S.U.heat shield
From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:30:40 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Andy:
On my '67 Midget vintage race car with LCB, I cut the heat shield so the
center pipes can pass. I left the upper part intact so the accelerator
cable has a place to attach to. The bottom of the shield is cut to match
the bottom of the carb flanges and then rises in the center so I can get to
the center manifold nuts easily for removal. Cutting the bottom off leaves
no place for the very important throttle return springs to mount to, so I
fabricated a mounting point made up of two small vertical flat pieces of
metal connected by a horizontal one to which the springs mount in the
normal fashion. I have never had any problems with this set-up except for
vapor lock one time at Atlanta Motor Speedway when it was 103 degrees. I
race at Road Atlanta and Savannah (also both very hot in the summer) with
no problems.

I have seen some guys cut an opening in the heat shield where the LCB needs
clearance, leaving the bottom with the stock spring mounts intact, but I
could never get the opening placed right. I don't use heat wrap or anything
else on the header. If you would like a sketch of my solution, contact me
off-list with your address.

At 12:31 PM 11/25/1999 +0000, Andy Webster wrote:
>greetings,
>I'm putting my new extractors (LCB) on and have found that they foul the
>heat shield.
>Can I safely omit the heat shield from the assembly? or will that cause
>problems e.g vapour lock, explosions etc.?
>If I had a clue how to set it up right I'd put the dellorto on, but I don't
>so I won't.
>Thanks in advance
>Andy
Bob Spruck