Re: E-bay

To: "Stefan Roundy" <stefanr@bealenet.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: E-bay
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:47:26 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My twist on this may be a little different, but I understood the original
post as something slightly different than several of us seem to be
understanding it.

Originally, I believe the intent of this topic was to alert recreational
bidders that simply wanted to stockpile an item offered on e-bay that they
were competing with a fellow lister that may have a dire need for that item.
I don't see this as unfair, because in a "live" auction, you would be able
to actually see, meet, and talk to the people at the auction before the
bidding actually begins.  Based on this, a bidder could choose to pass on an
item that he didn't really need if a friend or acquaintance actually needed
the item.  Also, it allows listers who might have a spare the opportunity to
e-mail someone who is bidding on an item and offer to sell a like part for
less than his current bid.  Again, nothing wrong here.

Personally, I have noticed a drop in parts available at swap meets.  It
seems this may be a result of people placing items through avenues like
e-bay.  Frankly, where ever someone can get top dollar is where they should
sell it, but I do miss finding those treasures hidden amongst piles of stuff
at the swap meet, and the bartering that takes place.

I sure hope no one was implying price fixing, as I think I have a jack or
two collecting dust...

David Riker
e-bay virgin
http://personalweb.sunset.net/~davidr