Re: E-bay

To: "Robert Weeks" <lists@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: E-bay
From: "Stefan Roundy" <stefanr@bealenet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:57:04 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
    Actually, I have been BUYING stuff on E-bay for over two years, so I
wouldn't actually say that I have been "watching from the sidelines". If it
was just one or two people "conspiring" together to stay out of the bidding,
it probably wouldn't have been taken sooooooooo seriously by me and others.
The fact that a steady stream of contestants seemed to be joining this
gameshow was what alerted me to a potential problem. I have absolutely
nothing against anyone who started or participated in this venture, I was
just begining to wonder if they had really thought it through and considered
the point of view of those who pay time and money to sell items on
E-bay...many of them list members.  How many of those same sellers would sit
quietly if they knew that dozens (and eventually hundreds) of serious
Spridget enthusiasts like themselves had formed a cartel and agreed that
only one of the bunch would actually bid on an item. In fact, would it also
be OK if I go ahead and notify everyone bidding on your item (who isn't
already involved in the bid fixing) that the item they are after is way
overpriced, and that I can sell them the same part for $20 less? If this is
also OK with list members, then let me know the next time you have something
up for sale and I will keep watch and participate in your auction from the
sidelines. For those who feel I am blowing this way out of proportion, you
should be the first ones to step up and contact me as your auction begins.
And believe me, my sheds are FULL of Spridget parts, and I could undercut
you almost every time.
    For those who think it is the "gentlemanly" thing to do to step aside
and allow another enthusiast to win the bid, you again aren't looking at the
big picture. Aren't the people selling the items usually gentlemen and
Spridget enthusiasts as well? Don't you owe them the same courtesy? In
addition, I never stated that people would be "pressured" to stay away from
bidding, but the fact that everyone was giving out their user names could in
some way provide "pressure", either real or conceived. That person knows
that although it is a part that he really needs for his car, he will stay
away from the bidding because he doesn't want to go against the rest of the
group. If you don't think that this could happen, then I would like to move
to your Utopia world, as it certainly is better than the one I live in. I
could then relax and consider the other, more important things in life.
Cheers!
Stefan