the great midget caper (Was: spridget transporting with a dolly, or...)

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: the great midget caper (Was: spridget transporting with a dolly, or...)
From: PaulM <pmetzger@top.monad.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 08:45:51 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
hello again listers,

        i'd like to thank all for their comments and advice about dolly
transport. most of what needed to be done was common sense stuff, but
it was much more reassuring to try it after culling the collective
wisdom of the list.
        it ended up being a 16 hour/one day adventure, with mission
accomplished. the biggest challenge was breaking loose the rusted
bolts at the universal to remove the prop shaft (marvel penetrating
oil is a wonderful product!). had to hacksaw one bolt that was an
offsize replacement and really seized. an especially fun task with all
the elbow room under there (on a dirt driveway during a rainstorm, no
less!)
        had no problems with the rear end bottoming out as someone had
warned. the whole unit tracked very well, even at thruway speed. i
drive tractor trailer for a living, and it took some time to get used
to pulling something this small! i'm used to looking in the mirror and
seeing a 48' refrigerated trailer, and knowing exactly where it is.
this was different, to say the least.

thanks again to everyone,
now to push it into the cellar and do some serious dismantling,

paul

PaulM wrote:

> hi gang,
>         i nailed down the '69 midget rust bucket on ebay over the weekend. in
> the tradition of 'we tight', i'm considering dragging it the 225 miles
> from syracuse, ny to keene, nh with a tow dolly.

paul metzger
keene, nh
'59 bugeye (target)
'60 bugeye (organ donor)