Re: Upholsterers

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, vping@optonline.net
Subject: Re: Upholsterers
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:47:57 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Vincent,

Check out the Austin Healy Spares web page:

http://www.ahspares.co.uk/

If you are looking for concourse, they have the best prices on 'original' style
interiors (and other parts) that I have seen anywhere. They have been a
pleasure
to deal with, and although shipping can be expensive, it still came out cheaper
overall than ordering from any of the US vendors.

I did a 'custom' interior for my bugeye (tan leather with dark green piping),
which I ordered from Sports and Classics.  (I did this before I knew about
AH-Spares). In any case, I think the 'complete' interior kit with carpeting was
around $850 (vinyl is less). This included all the interior panels (you have to
cover the door pockets yourself (bugeye) using your original brackets. Overall
was very pleased with the quality and workmanship of the interior, the seats
were nicely done (I love the leather), and comparable in quality to that from
MOSS, but I was disappointed with the carpet kit (poor fitting over hump, and
around shifter). I also had a problem with them overcharging me on the interior
package, and it took them over 6-months before I finally got a credit back to
my
Visa. At first they tried to give me a 'store credit', but I thought that was
unacceptable, especially since it was their mistake.
Since I didn't have a set of original door pockets (no brackets), S&C said that
they were going to have them available soon, so I place an order for them.
After
waiting a year, I happen to find a set at a local swap meet. Well you'll never
guess what showed up on my doorstep 6-months after that! It really took me by
surprise, that after over a year with no contact, a company would ship and bill
me for a part, without checking with me to make sure I still needed it.
Needless
to say I shipped it back to them.

In any case, If you want to do 'custom colors, or leather  S&C did do a good
job, for a very good price, but get the carpet from somewhere else, and watch
the billing. If you want an 'original' interior for a great price, I'd go with
AH-spares.

Good luck - Bryan Vandiver
(59-bugeye)