Bugeye air filters

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye air filters
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:01:40 -0800
A question about the original filters on Bugeyes -- the pancake ones with
the steel wool-like contents:

If your car still has these fiters, what do you do to clean/use these
things?  Please don't say "throw them out", I really like the very original
look of the engine.  Anyway, the driver's handbook says to remove them,
swill them in petrol, soak them in engine oil, and drain them.  I'm sure
that hasn't been done in ages on this car so something is in order.  But at
the same time, I'm not eager to screw up the finish or what's left of the
"Coopers" stickers (with the petrol) and I don't really like the thought of
them dripping oil for the next few months.  Is there a better way to clean
and re-oil these filters?

Thanks,
Rich Hill
'79 MG Midget