media blasting

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: media blasting
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:58:44 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
just be carefull with the air pressure, and use play sand i believe it is
double"0" or the like.

i had a professional sand blasting lace strip my 1940 chevy coupe fenders
for a street rod i owned.  they wererusty and had 3 or 4 paint jobs on them
but were straight!  upon my return i saw what looked like 4 large bare metal
cheese/corn curls!  excessive pressure and coarse sand not only warped my
fenders but it left an extremly coarse finish to the metal.  it took more
work than they were worth to straighten the metal and get a decent finish on
them.

after that experience i decided to never pressure blast any exterior sheet
metal as a means of striping.  i now have redi strip(national chain)  no
personal interest! chemically strip stuff that i want kept straight.

as far as brackets and braces and controll arms, i glass bead that stuff.
and any sand blasting i keep for under body and aereas wich a nice final
finish is not critical.

there are many medias available out there since my coupe was done wich i
have not experimented with yet.  possibly others have had some experience
wich they are able to share.  crushed walnut shells, plastic something or
other and the wonderfull chemical goo that is water soluable wich burns skin
like ........well you get the idea.   i guess evrything works , but be
carefull with sand.  a faster strip job is not a better strip job(low
pressure good high pressure bad!)  after you ruin 1 part and figure out what
it takes to make it look like it looked (shape wise and smooth wise) before
blasting you will better understand what i mean.   strip a old door or
fender that is junk and shoot a fresh coat of primer on it and look at it in
sunlight to see how wavy it might have become.  be very carefull!   do a
test piece or 2 to figure out where your piece of equiptment seems to like
to operate and check your results.

good luck!

chuck.