carbs (I think)

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: carbs (I think)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 03:02:03 -0600
        Greetings, list. I've been off the list for a while (car's been running
well, and all and I've been concentrating on my "real" car :). So I
apologize if I should read more and ask less. Anyway...
        I have a MkIV which has started to run poorly. I have new points and
the ignition and plugs look good, but it won't run well below 2500 rpm
without having the choke pulled partly out. I rebuilt the stock SUs
myself, but they are the only carbs I've ever owned, so my experience is
limited. I would think that this indicates that it's running lean, but
I've had them a bit rich (slowly turning in the jets a couple of turns
when really needed) for 3 years and this is quite sudden in comparison.
        To further comment on the symptoms, I can turn the choke off while
driving and it usually continues (around 2000-2500 rpm) with no trouble,
but won't respond to blipping for downshifts.
        I'm hoping this is a common and simple problem which has escaped me due
to lack of experience. Thanks.

--

1987 RX-7 TII: La voiture grande vitesse.
MCMLXIX Sprite: La voiture grande finesse.

-