Re: Copyright

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Copyright
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:06:36 -0500
This brings up an interesting question concerning the archive. I do not
remeber stating that my words could be reproduced there, unless it was in
the signup info and I do not recall seeing it there. I know that my words
are reproduced on every list members computer but I gave implicit
permission for that by submitting a post to the list, or contributing to
a thread (hey if he's gonna use my name I'm gonna use that term). Not
that I have any personal objection to the archive its just that I gave no
permission for it to include my postings. I don't care, but somebody that
writes a lengthy treatise on, say replacing the kingpins on a 60 Sprite
and how that differs from a 78 Midget might someday want to publish info
that and I can get it for free from the archive. So if we are gonna pound
this nail - let's pound it.

Is my posting to the list a free representation for anyone to reuse the
words with out permission??

Don't care - just wondered.

Larry
Not a copyright lawyer and don't want to be one either.

>List,
>
>My understanding of copyright is that the author holds copyright first and
>anyone else including the BBS, this list or whatever holds copyright
>second.
>If someone has written something which appears on the BBS, this list or
>wherever it cannot be reproduced somewhere else without the permission of
>the
>the writer and the first publisher.
>
>The difficult part is proving that you originated the words in the first
>place and even in UK magazines there are some writers that simply cut and
>paste from technical books to produce what amounts to technical worded crap.
>
>The other difficult part is the area of law that allows samples and quotes
>and I think that the users of the list have often quoted from David Vizard's
>book and this is acceptable as long as whole pages, even chapters aren't
>reproduced AND credit is given to the author.
>
>What needs to happen is for a polite question to be posed to whoever used
>Frank's stuff to see if they were ignorant of copyright law or whatever -
>IMHO.
>
>NOT LEAST - I keep telling Frank he ought to do some writing and get paid
>for
>it so if nothing else this wild and angry thread might produce some
>encouragement in the right direction.
>

>Daniel1312

Larry Macy
78 Midget