Re: gasoline pricing

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: gasoline pricing
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:07:06 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
type79@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<
 And on, and on, and on...

 IMO, Our transportation problems in the U.S. extend far beyond the cost of
fuel. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To a point, I would agree...but...this country was founded on freedom.  All
right, it was religeous freedom at first, then freedom from the opression of
the
King, but freedom none-the-less.

The automobile is the ultimate expression of that freedom.  No other country
is like this, where even the poorest of citizens usually has a car
(regardless
of condition) and most families have multiple cars.  We treasure our freedom.
I like being able to get in my car and drive to the mall WHEN I WANT.  No bus
schedules to read and wait, and no trains go to the mall anyway.

Besides, I am afraid to ride most of the mass transit in the Philly area.
The
gangs control the trains (I was almost attacked on a train the last time I
rode
one) and the busses are filthy.  The subway system is inadequate unless you
are in center city.

Other countries take care of their mass transit system.  I have ridden the
subways in London and Paris and they are clean and well organized.  I never
got lost and there were plenty of trains.

We still have the lowest gas prices outside of Iran.  I'll keep my freedom,
thank
you!

BTW, when I was a kid and just started driving, gas was 29 cents.  Now that I
make more than 6 times as much at my job, gas has not gone up by the same
amount.

At the end of the movie Braveheart, Mel Gibson shouted "FREEDOM!" when
they suggested he take the bus home.  See what happened to him?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport