Problem running

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problem running
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:08:54 -0600
        Hello, list!
        I've gotten around to repairing the vacuum leaks on MotorToad the other
day, and now she won't run for more than a few seconds and I'm hoping
it's something simple which my lack of experience causes me to not
notice.
        I removed the intake and exhaust systems and redid everything with
Permatex Super Copper RTV (recommended by people who run drag race
RX-7s). Now when I go to start it, she runs for several seconds and is
very (spooky, even) quiet [some of which may be due to the changes I
made to the cheapie-hack Falcon exhaust], but it won't go over 2000 rpm
even at full throttle and stalls after just a few seconds, regardless of
throttle or choke positions. After a few seconds, the scenario is
readily repeated. And repeated.
        One of the more obvious problems which I can't remedy is that I have no
idea what the ignition timing is at. It's near where it was before but I
can't get to the front of the car while cranking it, and don't have a
helper at the moment. I think it should be close enough (I've run it
pretty far out of whack).
        Any clues as to what I'm missing would be appreciated (obviously :).
--

1987 RX-7 TII: Stops making power at about 7000 rpm.
1990 GS 500-E: Starts making power at about 7000 rpm.

-