Re: Problem running

To: fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problem running
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:28:01 EST
In a message dated 3/10/00 2:26:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us writes:

<< One of the more obvious problems which I can't remedy is that I have no
 idea what the ignition timing is at. It's near where it was before but I
 can't get to the front of the car while cranking it, and don't have a
 helper at the moment. I think it should be close enough (I've run it
 pretty far out of whack). >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You didn't say which year and model car you have.  It's a good idea to always
have that info in your e-mail .sig file so you don't forget it.

Ignition timing can EASILY cause this running problem.  Get a cheapy remote
starter switch at Pep Boys and hook it up to the starter solenoid.
Instructions come with it.  Then you don't need a helper.  (Also comes in
handy when it's time to adjust the valve lash.)

Set the car to TDC on the front cylinder (#1) on the compression stroke (this
is easier to do than it sounds if you just think it through) and then adjust
the distributor so that the points are closed when the rotor is pointing
toward the #1 plug wire.  This is called static timing.  It is not quite as
easy with the electronic ignition on the later cars.  The car should run with
it set that way, but you really need to set the correct advance for any kind
of performance.  (The plug should fire before the piston gets to TDC.  How
much before, depends on which engine.)

Hope this helps.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward