Re: Dems da ...

To: RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dems da ...
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:29:37 EST
In a message dated 3/16/00 2:18:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
RobertDuquette@sympatico.ca writes:

<< While I'm there, I figure that I may as well change the lines and hoses.
 And while they're out, I may as well clean up a bit more of the engine
 compartment.  And while I'm doing that, if I could fix at least one front
 fender ...  shouldn't I do the inner kick panel at the same time?  Wouldn't
 it then make more sense to also do the floors and rocker panels?  If I'm
 going to do the engine compartment, maybe I should pull the engine to make
 it easier?  This time, I would want to paint the engine while it's out.  You
 see what's happening to me?  Negotiations are in process to buy another
 Sprite so that I can restore one 'and' drive one.  They would have to take
 turns.  The one that I am considering, is rustier than mine.  ( no floors )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Robert, it sounds like you need a therapist!  Slow down and don't let it all
get to you at once.  If you start to look at the ENTIRE car as a broken
thing, you will get discouraged.  Take each small job as a...er, well...small
job, and it will look much easier.  It is a common problem to get caught up
in all the stuff that's wrong with the car, and forget how much fun it is to
do the work and eventually to drive the bugger.  Lots of LBCs are sitting in
garages, neglected and forgotten, because of this.

I made a list and posted it in the garage.  When I completed each job (each
weekend) I checked it off the list.  When I was ready to throw the list away,
the car was ready to go to the PA inspection station.

Determine your expectations for the car.  Do you want to drive it between
work sessions?  (A rolling restoration.) Or do you want to take a year (or 2,
or 3, or 4) and do a complete resto?  That may determine whether you want to
pull the engine to clean the bay.  If it's a rolling resto, don't pull the
engine if the engine, tranny and clutch are all fine.  Just squirt some
Castrol Super Clean (or whatever it's called) in there and hose it off.

As far as the brakes, buy a rebuilt MC from White Post to be on the safe
side.  Then get the copper/nickel alloy brake pipe set, and braided brake
hoses from Moss.  I used these and they are easy to install.  Everything fit
perfectly, and the alloy pipes are easy to bend.

Good luck,

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget