How to determine ground?

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: How to determine ground?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:10:00 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Dear List:

Strictly speaking, let's say you were presented with a vehicle which had
been out of service for some time.  (Such as my '68 Sprite)  I understand
that they were originally positive earth.  But this car has a traditional
warnings sticker on it that says "Warning:  This car is wired negative
earth," or some such.  If there is no battery in place, how would you
determine how it is grounded, + or -?  I have yet to get this car running.
When a battery is hooked up negative ground, the headlights work (though why
shouldn't they?) but the flashers and brake lights do not.

Any way to test before I install my fuel pump?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite