Re: Rear axle locknut

To: "Larry Cogan" <woodrat@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Rear axle locknut
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:59:11 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
From Larry Cogan <woodrat at spacey.net>
To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 02 April 2000 18:53
Subject: Rear axle locknut

> Does anyone know the size of the rear axle lock nut (70 Midget).  I'd
> measure one except some misguided soul has mangled them both to a pulp
with
> a chisel!  Is this gonna get to be fun some time later?  Larry Cogan

The nut marked UNSHF is the one with the wrong-way thread
Best Gadget of the year 1999 was a Morris Minor half-shaft with the cut end
of a drilled out 1 7/8 socket welded to the inside face of the flange and
the other half welded to the outer face.  This meant that you could slide
the spline into the diff to ensure that you didn't cross thread the nut
whilst the torque wrench fitted into the outer face of the socket.

Rob Thomas