RE: Calif. plates for 67 Sprite

To: James Algar <JamesA@HI-TORQUE.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net, "'Elliott, Patrick'" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>
Subject: RE: Calif. plates for 67 Sprite
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:32:28 -0700
Patrick,
You're right, at least in regard to the part of my post you address, i.e.
driving with just a rear plate. I've been happily driving it that way for
twenty years and have never been ticketed for no front plate, even when
stopped and ticketed for something else, with the officer taking a leisurely
stroll around the vehicle "just to look." I fully expect I could continue to
drive it that way until the day  that either I or the car return to unformed
atoms and molecules.

But I *like* my black-and-yellow YXG 796 plate; there's a certain cachet
that goes with the old plate. And the question remains, how could I go about
replacing (replicating) the lost front plate? The gracious Republic of
California certainly ain't gonna help me; they'll just say, "sorry, we can't
do that, and by the way, you need to have a front plate, and so here, we'll
be happy to issue you a brand-spanking new set of singing, dancing
illustrated plates upon which, if you so desire, you may even request custom
lettering to make a social/political statement."

So I can either continue to drive with one plate, or somehow find a way to
make/create/replicate a front plate. Not a pressing matter (ooh, sorry 'bout
that) certainly...just a curious wondering if anybody ever took it upon
themselves to do a little "cottage industry" crafting of a license plate.

Jim Algar
'69 Sprite Mk.IV, YXG 796 (on the rear, stealth plate on the front)