The Workbench (long--was The Garage)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Workbench (long--was The Garage)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:40:14 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
I'm eating this garage stuff up!  I've saved every reply and combined all
characteristics from everyone's response.  Then I went down the list like a
kid with baseball cards.  "Got it.  Need it.  Got it.  Got it...."

The garage itself 20x27 was built with quality materials in 1950.  I should
mention I bought the place from my grandfather's estate.  He was an
electrical contractor for 60+ years.  The garage was built by a GC as
payment for electrical work my grandfather did in a subdivision.  Well, It's
wired!  Fixed conduit that looks more like plumbing work.  (I wonder if I
could sell 25 yards of out of code electrical supplies on Ebay?  Wiremold
anyone?)  A ton of light fixtures, but hardly any outlets!  It has a loft
that spans the full depth of the garage and about 10' in from the end.
(does not extend into the "bays")

Last night I mapped out the location of the workbench.  4 x 4 legs.  I've
plotted it to span 13' x 2'  across the depth.  Then 8' x 3' across the back
wall.  This will then butt up to (2) 8' x 4' "Equipto" bin cabinets, then
shelving (coolers and stereo-- The kegolator is in the basement of the
house.), then a metal closet.

Part of the 2 foot deep section will offer my wife some "home and garden"
space (on consignment).  The rest is mine.  I figure pegboard for tools
instead of tool box storage.

I'm not sure yet about the top.  I'm considering a multi-textured top.  I
have (10) 8-10' scaffold planks which could provide a good hearty top.  I
also have some really nice 3/4 pine in 2' x 4' sheets and 18" x 3' sheets.
Then I thought I'd pick up a metal top for a portion of the bench.
.......Then...there's these old 6' plank-like things that are sturdy metal
with 3/4" hard rubber mounted on one side.  Do you suppose there would be
any need for a hard rubber surface on part of the workbench?

 Any ideas on what to use for the top??  I'll also gladly entertain any
other design suggestions.  And, thank you for all the input so far!  This
list never ceases to amaze me.

Dan O'Shea
68 Sprite
Old Rusty--swept a little of it up yesterday.  Sprite in a Can anyone?
Poughkeepsie, NY