Re: only running on 2 cylinders

To: AHSprite78@aol.com
Subject: Re: only running on 2 cylinders
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:48:49 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Matt -

Even though you replaced them last fall, I'd look at replacing the cap,
rotor and plug wires.  It sounds like you've got an insulation breakdown
or carbon tracking in the cap.

Some ideas on tracking it down...

1) Eliminate/Identify the primary side of the coil (&/or the coil
itself) as the source of the problem:
Hook timing light on to #4, observe flash rate.  Hook timing light onto
lead from coil to  distributorn near the coil.  If flash rate is twice
as fast, then everything is okay up through the coil.  If not, start
diagnosing the primary system (Crane unit, wiring between Crane and
Coil, Coil itself...)

2) If it's not before the coil, it's got to be after.  Either replace
the cap, rotor and wires, or try to more closely identify the problem
(if you're part of the "we tight" crowd):  Hook timing light up to #1 or
#2 right by the distributor cap.  Flashing now on 1 & 2?  It's probably
the wires to the plugs.  Still no flashing on 1 or 2?  Probably Cap and
Rotor, but could be wire between Coil and Dist Cap.

Hope that helps...

Chris K.