Re: New lister

To: donald.mackinnon@bell.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New lister
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:24:16 EDT
In a message dated 5/28/2000 10:05:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
donald.mackinnon@bell.ca writes:

<< Any thoughts about learning to weld with a Bugeye as the
 first
 test?  Any recommendations on equipment available in Canada? >>

Donald:

I knew zit about welding when I started restoring the '67 Sprite I am now
restoring.  But I bought a little MIG gas welder from TIP ( <A
HREF="http://www.tiptools.com/";>TIP Tools & Equipment, Inc.</A>) in
Youngstown, Ohio, and began playing with it on a scrap Tr***ph door that
someone gave me.  NOW, I can weld a fair bead, given the increasing ability
to fill in holes I burn in the sheet metal.  But it is a very, very enjoyable
thing to do!  I would highly recommend purchasing a little welder, I would
highly recommend TIP, and as far as using the Bugeye as a first project, weld
the hidden panels first so you get better and better at it before welding
panels that will be obvious, like fenders, etc.   It really helps to take an
adult evening 8-week program in welding at the vocational school, or to have
someone close who can evaluate and tell you what you need to do differently
as you weld.

--David C.