Re: Looking for a little guidance

To: Brad Stevenson <bstevenson@imagictv.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a little guidance
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:39:32 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Brad Stevenson wrote:

> The things I consider to be important in a little sports car would be
> 1 Performance  THE BEST
> 2 Looks  THE BEST
> 3 Price  MOST ECONOMICAL
> 4 Availability and price of parts  READILY AVAILABLE
> 5 Availability of resources (advice, tech books, local mechanics, etc)
   READILY AVAILABLE

> Alright, so I'll just get to the questions:
>
> - Is this just crazy for some one of average mechanic ability and who can't
> afford to have a 'real' mechanic always working on my vehicle?

No. These cars are very simple to work on if you have basic tools and a
shop book.

> - I guess given the things that are important to me, I'm leaning towards say
> 67 - 74 MG Midget. This seems like a reasonable entry level purchase, based
> on what I've read so far, but I'd like to hear what the voices of experience
> have to say. Hopefully not "My God man, don't buy one of them!"

Your best bet.

> - Any specifics books you recommend I read over the next few months?

Original Sprite and Midget by Horler
A Bentley manual or Haynes Manual

> I picked this car because they seem reasonably priced. Reasonably plentiful,
> so there should be some parts around. They are a damn fine looking car, and
> seem to have a bit more guts than some of the earlier Spridgets.

You got that right!

> Anyway, I'd sure appreciate any advice/words of wisdom anyone might wish to
> share. Also, if anyone would like to take the time to give their thoughts on
> a compare and contrast discussion around Midget vs MGB (given the criteria
> above), I'd be real interested in listening. Possibly same discussion on
> Spridget vs. TR6?

MGB vs Midget.
MGB, slow, does not handle as well, B stands for BIG
Midget, fast, nibble, and easily pushable by yourself should you run out
of gas.

Good luck, I hope you join us as an owner.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ