Looking for a little guidance

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking for a little guidance
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:05:36 -0300charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all,

I've been lurking on your group for a few days now, so I thought it only
polite to introduce myself.

My name is Brad Stevenson and I live in Eastern Canada. I've been an LBC fan
ever since I was I teenager, but for reasons of practicality I've never
owned one. I currently don't have a garage at my house or an abundance of
extra $$, however by this time next year I plan on being in a position where
I have a garage and perhaps a little extra money to spend on some
non-necessities. So, for now I'm doing my research to try and minimize any
huge blunders when I go to purchase my first LBC.

The things I consider to be important in a little sports car would be
1 Performance
2 Looks
3 Price
4 Availability and price of parts
5 Availability of resources (advice, tech books, local mechanics, etc)

Living where I do, there's not a lot to choose from. I'm prepared to do a
little traveling to get something worth while. I'm certainly not a mechanic,
but I'm not completely mechanically declined either. Given a book, I can
usually learn to do anything. I would say my budget to get started will be
less than $5000. This car isn't intended to be my only vehicle, so down time
won't be a problem.

Alright, so I'll just get to the questions:

- Is this just crazy for some one of average mechanic ability and who can't
afford to have a 'real' mechanic always working on my vehicle?

- I guess given the things that are important to me, I'm leaning towards say
67 - 74 MG Midget. This seems like a reasonable entry level purchase, based
on what I've read so far, but I'd like to hear what the voices of experience
have to say. Hopefully not "My God man, don't buy one of them!"

- Any specifics books you recommend I read over the next few months?

I picked this car because they seem reasonably priced. Reasonably plentiful,
so there should be some parts around. They are a damn fine looking car, and
seem to have a bit more guts than some of the earlier Spridgets.

Anyway, I'd sure appreciate any advice/words of wisdom anyone might wish to
share. Also, if anyone would like to take the time to give their thoughts on
a compare and contrast discussion around Midget vs MGB (given the criteria
above), I'd be real interested in listening. Possibly same discussion on
Spridget vs. TR6?

All right, time to take a breath.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post! I truly look forward
to hearing your comments and opinions.

Brad