Re: Looking for a little guidance

To: bstevenson@imagictv.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for a little guidance
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:01:19 EDT
Hi Brad, and welcome to the list.  You will get more responses if you say you
are a 20 year old college girl (sorry, Patricia!), but here are my thoughts.

<< - Is this just crazy for some one of average mechanic ability and who can't
 afford to have a 'real' mechanic always working on my vehicle? >>

You have to be a little crazy, and some of us are more so.  ANYBODY of
average mechanical ability can keep a Spridget on the road.  If you can
change the oil, you can do 75% of the jobs required.

<< - I guess given the things that are important to me, I'm leaning towards
say
 67 - 74 MG Midget. This seems like a reasonable entry level purchase, based
 on what I've read so far, but I'd like to hear what the voices of experience
 have to say. Hopefully not "My God man, don't buy one of them!"  >>

'67 - '74 is a very good choice.  I was looking for that range because I
wanted a chrome bumper car without emissions junk.  The car I bought is a '77
rubber bumper that has been desmogged.  Don't set your mind on only one range
of years, but start looking there.  Buy any car that is not rusty and runs,
and is in your price range.

<< - Any specifics books you recommend I read over the next few months?  >>

I only have shop manuals, but there are good books on the pre-1500 series
Spridgets.  Check the Moss Motors catalog (download in .pdf at
www.mossmotors.com) for a listing.  Look for Horler, Porters or Clausingers.

<< I picked this car because they seem reasonably priced. Reasonably
plentiful,
 so there should be some parts around. They are a damn fine looking car, and
 seem to have a bit more guts than some of the earlier Spridgets.  >>

Although the 1275 engine can be found in many earlier cars.  And the earlier
cars are lighter.  Look for any car with a 1275cc engine.  Roll up windows
cost in the weight department.

<< Anyway, I'd sure appreciate any advice/words of wisdom anyone might wish to
 share. Also, if anyone would like to take the time to give their thoughts on
 a compare and contrast discussion around Midget vs MGB (given the criteria
 above), I'd be real interested in listening. Possibly same discussion on
 Spridget vs. TR6? >>

MGB and TR6 are bigger, heavier, and will not handle as well as a Spridget.
In their favor, they have more room inside, so if you are large you will fit
better.  TR6 is a bit more expensive, probably because of the 6 cyl. engine.
Parts availability is good for all these cars, thanks to Moss and Victoria
British.

The main thing is to find a car in good shape.  Buy the best that you can
afford.  Keep checking all the usual web sites:
http://www.mgcars.org/class/search.html
http://www.traderonline.com/coll/search/index.shtml
http://www.classifieds2000.com
and see what you can find in your area.  Look at as many cars as you can and
you'll get a feeling for condition.

Lastly, DO THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE!!!  The car will run reliably for a long
time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward