Re: $350 for a 210 tranny!! LOL

To: Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM, spridgets@autox.team.net, davidr@sunset.net
Subject: Re: $350 for a 210 tranny!! LOL
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:20:45 EDT
In a message dated 06/29/2000 11:04:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM writes:

<< I
 understand people need to make a profit, but 300% markup seems a little
steep,
 especailly since I know exactly where they got them from.  >>

Bryan,

Caviat emptor...or something like that... 300% mark up really may not be that
much.  $90 from the yard (+tax?) Plus driving a crew over to get it...$.50 a
mile easy each way.  Plus man hours to remove and prepare the part...probably
2 hrs minimum including farting around time by the employee..@ probably $9-12
per hour...call it $10 x taxes and benefits means it's about $30 per
tansmission.  Plus rent on the building, management salary, sales salary,
utilities, etc. etc. etc. etc....Maybe...er MAYBE, they make $100+ per trans.
 How many are they going to sell? One a week MAYBE?  So they provide a part
for those of us too lazy to get it ourself, or too dumb to be in the we-tight
club, and may repeat MAY make an extra $5000.00 a year?

Don't sound like they will be picking out the teakwood for the yacht anytime
soon.

Did we discuss shipping personnel? Interest on the $ tied up in inventory?
Returned parts?

They may make a large % profit on some items, but the average net profit at
the end of the year would probably make most of us keep working for that pay
check every month.

Of course if someone I know hadn't ticked off his chinese friends, we'd be
drinking that free bubalub and eating that rainbow stew by this time next
year!

R Houston