Re: Reinforcing Bugeye Hood?

To: LBCarNut <LBCarNut@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Reinforcing Bugeye Hood?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:13:46 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
LBCarNut wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>        My Bugeye hood has developed a crack just in front of the right
> wheel well. I have a forward opening hood and it is a bit wobbly when
> opened. Does any one have any suggestions on reinforcing/stiffening the
> hood to prevent the crack from coming back? I have seen re-bar welded
> along the fender lips on one car and another with cross bars bolted to
> the beading seam, was just wondering if there were any other
> suggestions, and the pros and cons of the above two methods.

Peter

I have the 1/4" rebar welded to the inner lip. No problems ever. I have
done this to every Bugeye or bonnet I own, they all seem to crack or
belly out around the fender opening.
Fitting it is critticle, it has to be done with the bonnet on the car
for proper alignment. Tac weld it every 2 inches or so as you shape it
to the bonnet and go back and finish welding when you are sure it fits
the body lines. If you have an assistant pull the front apron out as you
finish the tack welds, you gain a bit of wheel clearance. No body
notices this because there are no other body lines like along the
rockers.
Gain about 3/4 of an inch, readjust the bonnet pegs and lock bar and it
works great.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ