Re: Reinforcing Bugeye Hood?

To: LBCarNut <LBCarNut@carolina.rr.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reinforcing Bugeye Hood?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:30:44 -0700
Peter,

I too prefer to have a front opening hood on my Bugeyes. The one I have
with that problem was never hinged that way before I got it, but all the
weight near the front, much of the metal suffers from metal fatigue.  The
one I have that is still under restoration, but here is how I solved the
same problem with mine. The cross piece at the top of the radiator cowling
that attaches between the light was particularly bad, so the first thing I
did was remove that piece and fabricate a replacement. After that was in
place, the next thing to do was to tack some preformed 3/8 steel rod behind
the lip of each wheel arch. The arch apex and both sides was fractured too
and so they needed to be welded (or braised) as well. These two steps
stiffened the front immeasurably. I think even better than new. I plan to
add some seam sealer along the rod seam in the arch to keep water and dirt
out too. Make sure you get your hood alignment right before you commit
yourself with the welding, you won't be able to adjust things much once
you've welded things in place.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A