bypass tube on head

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: bypass tube on head
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:49:02 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I've decided to put in a blanking sleeve to improve cooling, but will
probably put the thermostat back this fall.  Is it really necessary to block
off the bypass port/hose when installing a blanking sleeve?

On days at or near 100F, the set-up I'm running now threatens to overheat
after about 15 minutes of driving.  Crossflow rad, no fan on WP, pusher elec
thermo fan on front of radiator, thermostatically controlled oil cooler.
Heater on, air flap closed.  Water + water-wetter +~10% coolant to lube the
WP.  30 deg. max timing advance, carb carefully tuned, not too lean.  On
days of 85 degrees or less, I can drive forever with no problem.

I am getting the feeling that the heat that builds up under the bonnet is
not finding a way out.  Maybe the 5-speed fills up the tunnel a bit more,
closing off some of the only escape for the hot air?  Any other heat
reduction tricks out there?  I'll happily try most anything that involves
the destructive use of cats.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye