Re: No LBC, Dizzy, Roe, etc

To: IfixMGs@aol.com, kgb@clipper.net
Subject: Re: No LBC, Dizzy, Roe, etc
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Kate,

The thick records were probably Edison Diamond Disks. They were actually 80rpm,
and typically about 1/4 inch thick. They were played using a 'reproducer' that
used a permanent saphire needle as opposed to regular 78's that used disposable
steel needles. The recording method was also different. They produced sound by
having the needle move up and down in the groove (known as hill& dale), while
'78's all the way up to the late 33's used side to side needle motion
(Berliner). I have quite a few of these at home, and even have a 'converter' so
that I can play regular '78's on my diamond disk player.

 - Bryan