Re: Rear anti-roll bars

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear anti-roll bars
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 13:47:06 -0400
Cc: davidr@sunset.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM
Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> Assuming the cars are rear wheel drive and live axle?....
>
> Rear anti roll bars are used to reduce understeer by introducing oversteer -
> possibly this is cheaper than addressing the problem of why the understeer is
> their in the first place.

Particularly when the understeer is a result of having a huge lump of
metal in the front of the vehicle (like an Explorer or Crown Vic).  All
that mass up front contributes to an understeer problem, and is
expen$ive to fix (i.e redesign to move the lump further back or design a
lighter lump).

Reminds me of an ad campaign that my Dad (an advertising exec. and
sports car nut) thought was the worst slogan for a car he'd ever heard:

"Goes straight as an arrow, even on curves!"

Chris K.