Re: Rear anti-roll bars

To: Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM, spridgets@autox.team.net, conan@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Rear anti-roll bars
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:16:16 EDT
If the rear of the car is too stiff it definitely doesn't need more
stiffness.  On the other hand if it is too stiff it is better to reduce
spring stiffness until it is just right rather than reduce spring stiffness
too much and then increase roll stiffness by introducing a rear anti roll bar.

To correct the situation and what is right will depend on the specific weight
of the car including passenger and contents of boot.  In other words if you
are fat and your boot is full of junk and the car has a Roll over hoop it
will need more spring stiffness than a car with a trim lady driver with an
empty boot and no hoop.  How stiffly sprung you find acceptable will also
depend on how fast you like to corner the car, tyre grip etc.

Panhard rods have nothing to do with spring or roll stiffness - they are they
for lateral location of the axle (to stop it moving from side to side).

Daniel1312