Re: Tie downs

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tie downs
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:43:39 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/00 4:18:28 AM, robb@nne.net writes:

<< Anyhow, my question is how best to secure the Sprite inside the trailer.
The trailer has a couple of big blocks which I can put the front tires up
against and a floor mounted tie-down in the back.  I've got a racheted
tie-down strap to use, but where is the best place to hook it on the Sprite?

Robb,

Allen's suggestion of the net type tie downs is very good but expensive.  The
cheapest ones we found were abut $40 each.  For our trips we have used the
ratchet type strap tie downs for motorcycles.  We found sets of four at Price
Club for under $20.  You do want to check the load rating for the tie down
including the ratchet and hooks.  The webbing is often four or five times
stronger than the ratchet and hooks.  You can get flush mounted tie downs for
the floor of the trailer or surface mount.  But as Allen notes be sure to put
a backing plate on the under side of the floor if you do not pick up the
trailer frame.  We use two straps per wheel which may be over kill. On the
other hand the car has never moved including the time we lost the tailer axle
with wheels and the trailer tilted up almost 45 degrees. We place the floor
tie downs about 6 inches out side the wheels and about two feet forward and
to the rear of each wheel.   For wire wheels (which is what we have) loop the
strap around the knock off hub, one strap looped forward the other looped to
the rear.  For disk wheels pass the straps through the slots in the rims, one
forward the other to the rear.  You do not want to tie down from the axles or
the frame. You want to let the suspension do its job.  Also on long runs we
like to check the straps a couple of times a day just in case.

Our 2 cents - after trailering the Sprite over 20,000 miles in the past few
years.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1967 Sprite Mk III (in progress)