exhaust systems

To: <RBHouston@aol.com>
Subject: exhaust systems
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 01:03:40 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Last year when I did my exhaust system I went with the Maniflow from APT.
The LCB was sent to Jet-Hot for coating ( $150 + $150 for the coating).
Jet-Hot guarantees the headers against rust out for life if they coat a new
set.  The pipe and straight through muffler @ $180 never got a chance as
it's pipe was to big for the header.  I returned them as for that cost I
really wanted a system that fit together without adapters.  I understand the
problem has been fixed.  So what I did was get the local muffler guy to
build off the headers with mild steel pipe and a steel muffler system for
another $150.  This is a very quiet set-up with a nice rasp above 3500 rpm.
When I asked him about stainless, other than not having any, he claimed the
the heat/cool cycles make stainless brittle and that the mild steel will
last longer. Any thoughts about that?  So my system was a total of $450 and
would have ran $300 without the coating, but now can be replaced for $150.
Sounds like a Stebro would be $600 and $300 for the LCB for a $900 system.
        Crash