Re: Low oil pressure readings

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, tim-brig@eas.za.net
Subject: Re: Low oil pressure readings
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:20:26 -0700 (PDT)
Tim,

As oil gets hotter, it gets thinner, and so the pressure will drop to some
extent when the engine is hot, even on a freshly rebuilt motor. It will also be
'lower' depending on the outside temperature, since the engine will run hotter
on warm days. The oil pressure will also vary with engine speed simply because
the oil pump which is driven off the cam-shaft pumps more oil at higher RPM's.
As bearings wear, oil pressure in general will drop on an engine.
Also make sure you are running the correct grade oil, since a thinner oil will
give lower oil pressure, and a thicker oil will be higher.

 - Bryan